Uniden programming cables for Windows 11

Mark SNE Moderator

My computer was recently refurbished with Windows 11 and it appears my current programming cables for my BCD436 and my 996XT and 15XT will not work with Windows 11. I see this cable on the Scannermaster site but it's out of stock. Does anyone have input on where else I can find the proper cable(s) for my scanners that works with Windows 11? Thanks.

https://www.scannermaster.com/Uniden_USB_Power_Programming_Cable_p/10-551644.htm

If you haven't try downloading the drivers and installing them again. The 436HP uses a regular USB cable, so you shouldn't need any special drivers.

Also if you use Sentinel for programming the 436HP, try uninstalling and reinstalling it.

It's probably a driver issue and you don't need new cables.

That cable will not work with XT scanners. They use a proprietary cable which does need drivers. If you have the right cable, you can download the drivers here,

https://uniden.com/products/usb-to-rs232-cable-for-scanners

Try installing the drivers again.

What he said.

Nothing to do with the cables; everything to do with the drivers. If it wasn't a fresh install of Windows 11 I would as Gary said uninstall/reinstall Sentinel.

garys said:
If you haven't try downloading the drivers and installing them again. The 436HP uses a regular USB cable, so you shouldn't need any special drivers.

Also if you use Sentinel for programming the 436HP, try uninstalling and reinstalling it.

It's probably a driver issue and you don't need new cables.

That cable will not work with XT scanners. They use a proprietary cable which does need drivers. If you have the right cable, you can download the drivers here,
cognize
https://uniden.com/products/usb-to-rs232-cable-for-scanners

Try installing the drivers again.

Ok, pardon my ignorance here, I don't know the process for installing new drivers to these cables. When ever I did any programming before I would simply plug in the cable and the computer would recognize it automatically and do the rest. I downloaded the drivers for this from the link you provided. Can you walk me thru the process from here? Thanks.

Usually, but not always, you click on the downloaded file and the drivers will install. Sometimes you need to install the drivers before plugging in the cable, sometimes you need to plug in the cable first. I don't recall with XT scanners which it is. In the case of the USB-1, you need the drivers so that the computer recognizes the cable as a device.

For the x36HP and SDS scanners, I think the necessary drivers are part of Sentinel, but it's been several years since I needed to install them. In that case the drivers are so that the computer will recognize the scanner, not the cable itself.

Scott probably has more recent experience with installing drivers, so maybe he'll comment.

Mark SNE Moderator said:
Ok, pardon my ignorance here, I don't know the process for installing new drivers to these cables. When ever I did any programming before I would simply plug in the cable and the computer would recognize it automatically and do the rest. I downloaded the drivers for this from the link you provided. Can you walk me thru the process from here? Thanks.

This should help for the 436. It has been a long time since I've set up the older scanners.

http://new.marksscanners.com/536/X36%20HP%20Sentinel.shtml#usb%20cable

The entire online manual for using Sentinel with the 436 can be found at: http://new.marksscanners.com/536/X36%20HP%20Sentinel.shtml

I'm using Windows 11. I find it faster and easier to simply pop out the microSD card from the 436 and 536 and put it in a card reader to update the database or favorites lists. No drivers are required at all since it reads the microSD card.

Well, no luck updating drivers for my cable that I use for my XT scanners. Its a USB to serial cable. Downloaded the latest drivers, unzipped the file, ran the program, connected to my BCT15XT and when I run Freescan software it cannot connect to the scanner. When I navigate to control panel/device manager I see this:

PL2303TA DO NOT SUPPORT WINDOWS 11 OR LATER. PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SUPPLIER.

I can tell you with certainty I have utilized a Windows 11 computer to program an XT with the factory cable. That being said, I am using a Toughbook FZ-55 with a native (add-on) serial port. The cable itself definitely works with windows 11. I would concur with others that it is a driver issue with your USB to serial adapter. I had a hell of a time getting one working with Windows 10. I wish I could remember what it took as its probably the same steps needed for Windows 11. The one thing I recall for sure is I had to download a new driver from StarTech's website. Even though it was a brand new cable (6 or so months ago), the driver disc it came with did NOT work with W10 but the driver I downloaded from the website did. There were some other steps required as well, but the big thing was the driver.

You need to uninstall the PL2302TA driver and install the new version. That's why it wont' work with Windows 11.

Here are step by step instructions for doing that,

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-install-pl2303-prolific-driver-on-windows-11

Mark SNE Moderator said:
Well, no luck updating drivers for my cable that I use for my XT scanners. Its a USB to serial cable. Downloaded the latest drivers, unzipped the file, ran the program, connected to my BCT15XT and when I run Freescan software it cannot connect to the scanner. When I navigate to control panel/device manager I see this:

PL2303TA DO NOT SUPPORT WINDOWS 11 OR LATER. PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SUPPLIER.

garys,

you are the man! Took me a couple tries to get it to work but I figured it out. Drivers all updated, connected with computer, and Freescan detected my scanner. Thank you.

Glad I could help. This computer stuff, especially drivers for hardware, can be a huge PITA.

Mark SNE Moderator said:
garys,

you are the man! Took me a couple tries to get it to work but I figured it out. Drivers all updated, connected with computer, and Freescan detected my scanner. Thank you.

Well,

Here we go again with this issue. Since my last post I have a newer/refurbished all in one computer with Windows 11 Pro. I went thru every procedure mentioned here before and I absolutely cannot make the USB/Serial cable to work on this PC to program my BCT15X and 996XT scanners. Can someone direct me to a new cable that WILL work for me? Thanks.

Back